Friday, May 27, 2011

In-A-Gadda-Da-Elmer

It was exciting for gardening this year. I picked up my first two tomato plants from Johnson's Gardens the first day their tomato plants arrived. I was told that it was way too early to plant tomato plants and that the first frost would kill them. I bought a couple of solid hardened tomato hybrids called Jet Star. This particular indeterminate variety for South Eastern Kansas grows great and is resistant to a lot of tomato diseases. Usually, it takes about a month and a half for Jet Star to start cranking out fruit. (These Jet Star photos were taken on May 28th of 2011.)


http://www.johnsonsgarden.com/ 
I was worried at first that I may have planted too early. I had some blighted looking leaves, but I knew that the cool weather had caused a little leaf yellowing and leaf curl. Other than that, the Jet Star tomato plants are my oldest plants in the entire garden and they are just starting to reach about three feet tall. (Almost one meter.) My beds are filled practically with straight compost, but I have added other soils for just to fill to beef up the bed. I've didn't have much luck with my garden last year because of the heavy rains and lots of overcast cool days. A lot of my tomato plants developed brown spots on the leaves and blossom end rot. I tried some permaculture techniques and compost tea, and aerated compost tea and it just did not yield any results that I could notice. So I went back to what I think I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment