Friday, May 27, 2011

Estate Sale Finds

 It takes time, but you can collect some real neat things at estate sales. I've been on a real basket kick lately and I think it has to do with pattern or grids, but I am not too sure yet. Basketry is one of the oldest forms or art on Earth. They are all handmade and each basket comes from a practical need to carry or contain something. A fish basket is used for fish, a lobster cage is for catching lobsters, a minnow basket is for catching minnows...

 This is a mid 19th century mass-production Ginger Jar with a nice cherry blossom motif in nice celadon glaze. It's practically flawless and has a level of craft that is unmatched by today's utilitarian standard.

 This is a Chinese Fang ding. Also known as a Ding. It is about 18" tall and weighs about 30lbs to 40lbs. This solid bronze incense burner is so unique that I have yet to find another like it. The closest one I have found that that has a lot of the same characteristics is in the Phoenix Museum of Fine Art and it is a late 17th century artifact. My favorite part is the removable lid (below)

 This two piece cast bronze sculpture is one of my coolest finds ever. On top is a Fu dog tearing up a lotus flower riding n top of clouds, or fire, or wind, or abstracted water motif.  http://www.phxart.org/slideshow/index.html#/COL/72157606187498905/2671933700/

 I think this is from Paraguay. I am not too sure. It is difficult for me to know, but is is a nice ceramic sculpture.

 This is a ceramic oil lamp that has never been used. I really like the glaze on this one.

 This is a Tarahumara basket in front of two English candlestick holders from the early to mid 1800's. The candlestick holders have three stones in the base to add weight to the holders. Everything in the photo was made by hand.

 Detail of the cattle skull and wildflower themed motif.

 This is an extremely well made basket. This is a basket that is made in Mexico by an indigenous peoples tribe called, the Tarahumara. (The people who run 120 miles in two days in their bare feet.) I think this is made from pine needles.

Here is another one I just enjoy looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment